A Rose Garden in February, May and July

Creating a Rose Garden in February/March is a very unlikely scenario at least in Michigan where I moved from.  It is much too chilly with still a possibility of snow.  However, it is very doable in South Carolina.  Here’s the story….

In January one of my wonderful neighbors nominated me to be one of the featured homes in the Hilton Head Women’s Association’s annual Garden, Landscape and Patio show for spring 2026! The date of the show was May 7th. This was an honor for me to even be considered because I don’t think of myself as a gardener - have no knowledge nor talent in that area - but do like pretty things and can see beyond what is in front of me or actually what is practical!  So, I agreed and took this nomination as a challenge - to be able to “create a garden space worthy of being in a show” in a short timeline!

I have a space in our side yard that I have technically called a “ROSE GARDEN” for years but not really tended it nor added to it.  Once I committed to the show, I went in full force to create a garden to be admired.  For at least four weeks, I was out there, digging out roots, planting roses, clearing out brush, moving mulch….. getting into poison ivy or poison oak or poison something until I was spotty and exhausted!  (Drama!). 

Sometime during the month of February, I was at Sam’s Club and they had roses in root form available, so I bought a half dozen thinking I could get them planted soon.  That did not happen.  With all the prep that I was doing in the garden and a little travel, I didn’t have a chance to get them in the ground.  They sat in my garage for over six weeks and started sprouting.  I was ecstatic!  When the garden was finally ready enough to get them in the ground, I realized that I had room for more.  Back to Sam’s I went and they still had some available so I bought six more and got them in the ground as soon as I could. 

At this point, the garden now was looking pretty good, even though there was still much to do.  But I was  pretty satisfied that it was on its way….  Then I get the call….  Show has been cancelled for this year!  Stop working or continue?  Continue of course!! 

Before and After!

Since I wrote that initial introduction to my newly formed Rose Garden, much more has been done!  It is now July and the bones of the garden have been completed!  The path that formed the garden was full, and I do mean full, of roots!  The grass in the path had mostly died out due to lack of water and all the roots. They were definitely a problem.  They not only sucked out most of the water, but they were very high where they crossed the path and were a tripping hazard.  I decided to remove those big and nasty roots myself!  I’m pretty strong, right?  After all, I did win the Fantasy Football League!  However, it became a huge job and in the heat of the summer was not a safe environment for me to be in.  So, I hired a couple of neighborhood boys to help me!  They did a great job.  We completed all the digging and last week I had new sod installed, followed by mulch in the beds.

Here are some of the roots I dug up.  They were long and had additional roots going in all directions underground!  It was a project!

This beautiful bald eagle perched in the tree right above where I was working.  He stayed there for most of the afternoon.  I kept getting distracted from my work while just standing and watching him.  It was fascinating for sure!

Now the path looks great!  The roses?  Well, the first group that I got from Sam’s Club and started growing in my garage are thriving!  They are a bit stressed in this summer heat, but every plant has bloomed, so there’s that!  I’m upset about the second group, however, - not one of them grew!  I waited and watched them everyday until the middle of July and nothing!  Just the ugly little root sticking out of the ground….!  Growing roses sure has a learning curve!  I finally dug them all up and replaced a couple with new bushes, which are now blooming!  It’s been a definite Learning Process!



Fruits of my labor!

Now I understand that a garden is always a work in progress and will never be finished.  I’m still devoting my time to it and if I decide to do the show next year, this garden will be ready and hopefully will have flourished in the extra gift of time it has been given! The roses will have matured and hopefully by next spring will be thriving!

Now I have roses to bring inside and a pretty path where I can wander!

Comments

Popular Posts